Five of the Best Snack Bars
By Tamara Lowengrub MS RD
On 7/31/2020 Good House Keeping posted an article about which granola bars are best suited for snacking. They tested over 50 granola bars and rated them by taste and nutrient content. In order to make this list of fives, the bars had to have 250 or less calories, at least 3 grams of fiber and less than and 9 grams of added sugar, Affordability and convenience was also included for the list below.
When selecting a snack, look for approximately 250 calories, 30 g of carbohydrates, 7 grams of protein, and at least 2 grams of fiber. Keep in mind that snack bars are convenient for meals on the go. However, when possible choose real foods such as carrots and hummus or even Greek yogurt and berries in lieu of a bar.
1. Kashi Chewy Coconut Almond Bars– This is a gluten free product and very affordable at $2.98 for 5 bars. Per 1 bar serving: 200 calories, 16g fat, 45mg sodium, 12g carb, 3g fiber, 4g added sugar, 5g protein
2. Nature Valley Packed Sustained Energy Bar– This plant based bar is a great value, priced at $20.88 for 24 bars. Per 1 bar serving: 240 calories, 14g fat, 135mg sodium, 22g carb, 3g fiber, 9g added sugar, 7g protein.
3. Kind Protein Bars Double Dark Chocolate Nut– A gluten free option that is priced at $17.47 for a 12 count box. Per 1 bar serving: 250 calories, 17g fat, 125mg sodium, 17g carb, 5g fiber, 6g added sugar, 12g protein
4. Bob’s Redmill Peanut-butter Banana and Oats- Contains whole grain gluten free oats and does not contain dairy, soy or eggs. Per 1 bar serving: 210 calories, 9g fat, 100mg sodium, 28g carb, 3g fiber, 8g added sugar, 7g protein
5. Luna Bar-Leon zest– This another gluten free option easily found at the local grocery store. When purchased in bulk from amazon, the bars are less than a dollar. Per 1 bar serving: 210 calories, 9g fat, 100mg sodium, 28g carb, 3g fiber, 8g added sugar, 7g protein