1. Trans fats are the worst type of fats and are only found in processed foods.
2. Saturated fats are found in meats, dairy, palm oil and coconut oil. These fats are solid at room temperature. Dietary recommendations suggest limiting saturated fat consumption to less than 10% of total calories.
3. Monounsaturated fats are the best fats for consumption. Good sources are olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, avocado and many seeds and nuts. Although monounsaturated fats are healthful, they still should be consumed in moderation
4. Polyunsaturated fats are found in vegetable oils, tofu, fish and nuts. These fats are liquid at room temperature.
5. Essential fatty acids are divided into 2 groups, omega 6 and omega 3, which should be consumed in equal balance. Omega 6 is found in corn oil, grape seed oil and sunflower oil. Omega 3 is found in seafood, walnuts, flaxseed.
All types of fat provide 9 calories per gram. The average swimmer should consume less than
30 % of total calories from fat. Keep in mind that not all fats are created equally. Choosing more healthful fats such as olive oil or the fats from fish will help with overall health.